If you're living in an apartment and considering adopting a puppy, you may have concerns about providing a happy and satisfying home for your furry friend.
The following breeds, (in no specific order), are usually small in size and don't require much physical exertion. They also are very friendly and affectionate in nature, which make them great companions.
All dogs, despite their size or nature, require some form of play and activity. Potential owners must research the specific needs of the breed before adopting.
- French Bulldog: This playful, alert, dog resembles a Bulldog in mini version. "Frenchies" don't bark much but they make excellent watch dogs. They are also very adaptable to life with various family dynamics and do not require much exercise.
- Bichon Frise: This breed is mild mannered, playful and affectionate. They are very social and do well on outings with their owners.
- Pug: Pugs are known to be strong-willed but rarely aggressive and are very suitable for families with children. Pugs are playful and thrive on human companionship.
- Maltese: Maltese are affectionate toy dogs covered by a long, straight, silky coat. They make alert watchdogs who are fearless and charming. They do not shed much and live long lives.
- Bulldog: The bulldog is a courageous and friendly breed. Bulldogs enjoy brisk walks and moderate exercise. They are easy to train, very easy-going and affectionate.
- Shih Tzu: This sweet faced breed! They are very affectionate and sweet. Their idea of fun is sitting in a lap and keeping their owners company as they watch TV. They are excellent watch dogs and a great pet for apartment living! (Bruno is a Shih-poo (Poodle/Shih-tzu mix), but certainly exhibits these Shih-Tzu qualities.)
- Chihuahua: This tiny dog has a huge personality! They are loyal, charming and confident little dogs. They are ideal for apartment living in a city. They are adaptable as long as they get lots of quality time in their preferred lap.
- Yorkshire Terrier (Yorkie): This is one of the most popular dog breeds in American cities. They are hypoallergenic, live long lives and make great watchdogs. They are very affectionate and are great with with children.
- Boston Terrier: Boston Terriers are a sturdy but portable breed. They are always up for a brisk walk and extremely people oriented.
- Cavalier King Charles Spaniel: An affectionate, gentle and graceful breed. They get along nicely with children and other dogs. They do equally well with active owners and homebodies.
Source of specific breed details: The American Kennel Club.